Art and Science of Love Workshop
The Art and Science of Love Workshop series has been suspended due to COVID-19. We appreciate your business and wish you well during these times. We recommend visiting the Gottman site to view the many qualified therapists who may still be running workshops at this time. Please contact us for questions or inquiries.
This workshop is designed to strengthen your relationship through engaging presentations and experiential activities. This workshop will provide tools for strong relationships and a road map for distressed relationships.
We are now offering ongoing online options. Couples can sign-up for the Art and Science of Love workshop anytime. By registering you will be receiving the online ASL manual, the optional boxed set and practice time with Mike.
Buying the additional boxed set will provide you with:
- 2 couples workbooks (one for each partner);
- 7 card decks;
- laminated mini-posters and booklets of key concepts;
- the Aftermath of a Fight Relationship Guide Booklet;
- 2 Assistance Cards
The Art and Science of Love Workshop is based on the work of John Gottman, Ph.D. Dr. Gottman has learned what really makes relationships work by studying and following over 3,000 couples in over 30 years of research. This workshop is designed to teach you exactly what successful couples do to foster romance and harmony in their relationships. At the beginning, you will learn how to build fondness, admiration, and closeness in your relationship. Once you are familiar with these concepts, you will work on conflict management while learning new and important communication skills. Couples work privately on exercises designed to address the challenges in real-life relationships. Mike, a Certified Gottman therapist, will be dedicating time to support couples with one-on-one with exercises. While the nature of this workshop is psycho-educational, all information gathered from couples will be kept absolutely confidential. There is no group work or public disclosure.
What You Will Learn
- Foster respect, affection, and closeness
- Build and share a deeper connection with each other’s inner world
- Keep conflict discussions calm
- Break through and resolve conflict grid-lock
- Strengthen and maintain the gains in your relationship
The 5 Basic Questions
- How is your marriage/relationship doing?
- What makes relationships change, for better or for worse?
- If your relationship is in trouble, how can you turn it around?
- If your relationship is doing well, how can you ensure that it will continue to grow?
- As your relationship improves, how can you make changes last?
Assessing Your Relationship
- Learn to recognize the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and what to do if they are attacking your relationship
- Identify your relationship’s specific strengths and how to build on these
- Learn about the effects of physiological flooding and how it may affect conflict resolution
- Learn small, easy steps that increase romance in your relationship
Build a “Sound Relationship House”
- Learn how Love Maps provide a solid foundation for your relational intimacy
- Use the Fondness and Admiration System to renew respect and care for one another
- Create an Emotional Bank Account that you can draw upon in times of stress
- Develop your problem-solving skills, including the four techniques of effective conflict resolution: Softened Start-Up, Accepting Influence, Repair Work and De-escalation
- Find out how you can make your dreams and aspirations come true for you, your partner, and your relationship
This Art & Science of Love workshop is offered independently of the Gottman Institute. Certified Gottman Couples Workshop Leaders are Certified Gottman Therapists who have been specifically trained by The Gottman Institute to present the Art & Science of Love couples workshop curriculum designed by Drs. John and Julie Gottman.
The Art & Science of Love Couples Workshop has been operating for over 10 years and has been delivered to over 10,000 couples within the Seattle area alone.
The Art & Science of Love Couples Workshop has had an independent research outcome study. 85% of couples report an immediate change to their relationship following the workshop. One year out the continuing positive impact to their relationship is equivalent to two years of couple’s therapy.